The Farmette50

The Farmette50

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Up In Smoke

Winter is arriving fast, even in the south, and I'm trying to get the house tucked up tight for the cold and ugly weather to come.  I'm sooooo close.

Right now we are installing a woodstove.  It's all very exciting.  I love having wood heat.  It's actually going to be my backup and for the ambiance of it all.  We have the power go out a lot up here on the mountain and I just don't want to have to leave my home if it does, so I'm putting in the ability to stay home no matter what the electric company throws at me.

I love what we're doing with it.  When we replaced the roof, we took down the old chimney and I saved the bricks.  So now that I'm putting in the stove, I'm using the old brick as the hearth.  It's so cool, and it just sort of ties the old and the new parts of the house together.

This is what the hearth looks like while the morter is still wet.



We should have the back shield up and the stove installed by Wednesday.  That's a good thing cause it's suppose to get down in the teens that day.  Brrrrrrr.

The guys also got my chimney up.  Actually, it's a pipe with a chase around it to look like a chimney.  I think it looks great.



In the meantime, I've been cooking like mad for the guys all week and having a blast doing it.  I love cooking and now that I've got my kitchen up and running, I've been indulging myself.  I've cooked roasts and lots of veggies, big pots of chili and pans of cornbread every day. Yum.

Our greens are growing wildly now that we've had rain.  Sister and I got out and picked and picked and picked and picked.  I'll be canning them up for the next few days.  That will be some good eating when the snow is flying and even into the summer when the greens won't grow.  Yum.

I'll post more pictures as things develop this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment