The Farmette50

The Farmette50

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Congratulations go out to the Auburn Tigers for their win over Alabama in the "Iron Bowl"

Let me make this perfectly clear.  I am not an Auburn fan.  I am an University of Alabama graduate (class of 1983).  I was screaming and yelling all the way for the Tide on Saturday.  It was painful to watch that last play.

I WILL NOT, however, be ugly about the loss.  Some of the things I have heard and seen this year for the game is enough to put you off football altogether.  This rivalry is so bitter that it's even led to murder in one case.  It's getting to where it's downright embarassing.

And it's coming from both sides.  Auburn fans can be just as bitter and ugly as can Alabama fans.  The name calling is no longer funny.  It's nasty and shows the worst in human nature.  It also makes the rest of the country look at this state and know they were right in thinking that we act like a bunch of redneck hicks that will literally kill each other over a sporting event.

Oh Please!  There are enough things going wrong in this country that are really important.  Football isn't one of them.  In fact, football should be a way of forgetting our problems and having a good time during times that aren't so good.  Instead, except for the 60 minutes of playing time on the field, football in this state has become something to dread, because some redneck is going to do something stupid, get himself in trouble and as he's being led away to jail, scream "Roll Tide!" or "War Eagle!"  Well that certainly reflects well on the state, now doesn't it?

The kicker for Alabama missed field goal attempts.  He's getting death threats?  The comments posted by readers at the end of articles about the game are so full of threats, demeaning comments,  f bombs, and other foul language that they should be censored for everyone under 50.

What amazes me more than anything is that most of this vitriol is from people who have never even actually been to either school.  So many people around here were just worked into a lather about the whole thing, but when I thought about it, it occured to me that I'm the only person I know that actually attended the University of Alabama.  I know only one person that went to Auburn University and he's a very nice fellow.  In fact, I ran into him on Monday and congratulated him on the win.  He in turn commiserated with me on the loss.  We parted on the best of terms.

That's the way it should be.  It's a game people.  Let it go.  Congratulate the Auburn fans.  Console the Alabama fans, and gear up for next year.

Congratulations Auburn.  Best of luck on the SEC championship.  I'll be pulling for you.  Roll Tide!

No comments:

Post a Comment