The Farmette50

The Farmette50

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Plumbers and Porches, Mud and Jacks

My goodness what a busy few days it has been. The plumber showed up first thing on Tuesday. Well actually, the plumbers showed up. There were six of them. Never seen so many of them at one time in my life. Even my builder was amazed. We finally figured out from chatting with them, that they are usually spread out over several jobs, but with the economy being what it is, I was it for the morning. Anyway, they went right to work. One was working on the utility sink, one on the refrigerator, one on the kitchen island, two on the bathroom and one on the sewage drain. I walked into the house once, and only two of them were standing there. There were a bunch of muffled voices under the floor. I couldn't imagine that many people packed in that little bitty space.

I looked like I had a party going because I think every one of them drove his own vehicle. There were trucks everywhere. As I told my builder, it was what every woman needed. A house full of men, all doing her bidding.By the end of the day, the entire job was done..... Except for the 20 feet of pipe that he underestimated. A little bit irritated about that he was.

So yesterday, he was back and finished up first thing. It took hardly any time and only three showed up. I have plumbing in place. Yahoo!!!




In the meantime, Builder and company were staying out of the way by working outside. They put in a mini French drain under the porch.




And then finally got started on that decking for the porch.




I LOVE my porch.

Yesterday after the plumber had left, they went down under also. The original plumbers had chopped a joist in two places to achieve their goals, and it had to be replaced. Word of advice---if you have having plumbing done, and you see your plumber headed under your house with a saw, stop him.




Over time, the lack of support and the wide expanse of the beams had caused the floor to sag, so they jacked it up and put in a support beam. Now the thing is solid as a rock.




And in the afternoon, they finished off the floor in the bathroom and hallway for today the tile man cometh. Everything was cleaned within an inch of its life, swept and vacuumed, and then ¼ inch plywood was glued and screwed down. Let the mudding begin!




Today, while the tile man is mudding, the guys are going to be jacking up the kitchen floor, which is suffering from the same abuse as the bathroom floor. Too wide and bad plumbers. It has a definite dip in it that you can feel when you walk across it. Has to be fixed. It's gonna be a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment