The Farmette50

The Farmette50

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Remembering Lovely 2003-2010



Life sort of got put on hold last Thursday when a light in my life got extinguished. I lost Lovely, my beloved Border Collie/Black Lab mix to a vehicle. She was a bit of a klutz as dogs go, so its not totally surprising, but so very sad. She will be missed more than I can say.

She was different from any dog I've ever had. It's easy to say that as all dogs have their own personalities, but she truely was different. She was a free spirit with a mind of her own and a great sense of joy in the world.

I got her when she was about five and a half months old. She was up for adoption from the Save A Life Foundation in Savannah, Georgia. She looked like a bowling ball with legs. Round and tubby she had been fed too much and all she wanted to do was sleep. But mainly she wanted to sleep in my lap. I told myself I didn't need a new dog. I even walked away and left her that day I first saw her. But she had touched my heart in just the few moments I had seen her and a week later, she came home with me for a forever home.

As she settled in, I fell in love. Even two weeks later when she ate all the Christmas ornaments off the bottom two feet of the tree, I couldn't help but laugh. I think she pooped sparkles for a week.

She had a personality that was all out. She went with me to the beach and thought getting blasted by waves was the greatest thing. When I moved to Colorado, she loved romping in the snow and thought it was the greatest thing. She enjoyed going camping with me, and thought sitting by the campfire was the greatest thing. She was having a blast playing with her cousins, and running loose on the farm and thought it was the greatest thing. I had taken her up to the new house and shown her the windows she could lay in front of and see everything out of and she thought it was the greatest thing. Her love of the moment was an endearing quality and a great thing to experience.

She enjoyed barking at my friend's cats and went riding happily in another friend's convertible with the top down, fur blowing in the breeze. She loved her baby sister Baby fiercely and protected her from her best friend Keno the Boxer, even though Baby was bigger than she. She showed unwaivering loyalty to those around her and picked a fight with no one.

She didn't suffer and for that I am grateful, but oh how she will be missed.




























No comments:

Post a Comment