The Farmette50

The Farmette50

Friday, January 8, 2010

Busy Week at the Farmette

I haven't had much time to post this week as I've been running here and there and everywhere. Busy, busy busy.

We're down to details and whoever said that the devil was in the details wasn't kidding. What kind of lighting do I want? We have to put a load bearing post in this area somewhere. Where do you want it? What do you want it to look like? What kind of flooring are you going to be using? Where do you want your electrical outlets? How many? What are the rough-in measurements for the front door? Where do you want your roof access? Sheetrock or wood? Wood or tile? Where? What? How much? When? Why?

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm better now.

Even with my brain on overload and smoke coming out my ears, I'm excited. I'm finally beginning to see the house that I thought this could be. Now I'm wanting it to be in a hurry so I can get back in it and actually be there.

So this week, they finished up the roof and wrapped the new addition up in Tyvek to keep out the wind.



Then with the outside done for the time being, we moved in out of the wind. What a joy! (And with temps below freezing and a stiff wind from the north west, I mean that with all sincerity.


I took this picture from where the end of the old carport was, facing east out into the new addition. When the room is done, the header in the middle where the old carport used to end will be done, and the wall to the left will be gone. My kitchen should be about where the wall is, the dining and sitting area will be in the new addition with all the windows and I've got my back up against where the front door will be. There will also be a door to the right, leading out onto a nice big porch full of rockers.

In the meantime, the guys drug a kerosene heater into the new addition and finally got to work in bearable temps. With the wind gone, and heat blasting into the closed space, it was almost nice.

No time to set and enjoy though. Starting making room for wiring and deciding on types of lighting. Some of the old rafters needed to be replaced so they had to come down.



But even being indoors wouldn't keep Old Man Weather from trying to do us in.......and succeeding. Thursday started out with an artic cold blast and shortly after sunrise, the white "stuff" started falling from the sky. And kept falling......and falling......and falling.

That wouldn't have stopped my bunch because they are an intrepid group, but the snow wasn't the problem. It was the ice underneath it that did us in. The youngest member of the team nearly spun out getting to work, and one of the guys actually had to drive down the mountain to get home. Coming up wasn't exactly a picnic and going down was going to be worse.

Then Builder's wife called and it took her 20 minutes to go 1/4 mile at the foot of the mountain. That ended it. We gave up and called it quits for the day and for the week. The temps are continuing to drop as is the snow and we're suppose to be in single digits for the rest of the weekend. We turned off the water, drained the pipes, stuffed holes with insulation and called it a day.

Next week, we begin again. Charge!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment